No School Today
- Sleep in. Nap. Brunch. Nap.
It's what all the cool kids are doing.
Brunch is great. And as it turns out, so is avocado smashed on toast. Correction - fried egg on avocado smashed on toast. I love fried eggs. In the kitchen, whenever I feel something is missing, I…
Apr 6, 2012, 2:51 pm
Taking A Closer Look
- Potatoes are one of the earth's secrets.
They're completely hidden under flowering plants and layers and layers of dirt. There's a lot of digging (pun definitely intended) necessary before you know just what it is that the earth's been hiding away. This is one of my favorite things about the…
Dec 3, 2011, 5:41 pm
- Last night, my house smelled of bonfire, in a really good way. (I really love that smell this time of year. Actually, all year long, I pretty much love the smell of bonfires.) Anyways, it was due, of course, to this soup we made for dinner, and its mad-potent chipotle…
Nov 23, 2011, 12:49 am
Practice Makes Perfect
- I am obsessed with eggs.
Fried eggs, to be precise. I'm eating them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, afterschool snacking, midnight snacking...basically any occasion for eating can be considered the ideal moment for a good fried egg.
Fried eggs are seriously the closest thing to perfection you could find in the…
Oct 30, 2011, 2:26 pm
Pass on the Peach Fuzz
- Look - an old, wrinkly peach. Poor old, wrinkly peach. He's lost all his peach fuzz, he's that old.
(No worries, good sir. You've still purpose - Saturday Breakfast.)
Peach fuzz (haha)...It seems that everyone wants a bit of peach fuzz - that random band, those thirteen-year-olds who are ready…
Oct 18, 2011, 10:48 pm
- I have cousins who eat oatmeal every day for breakfast. I am utterly impressed.
Not that I don't like oatmeal; on the contrary, I think it's a pretty awesome solidslashliquid. But everyday? So. Much. Oatmeal.
I have, however, been inspired to run a Yummy Oats Challenge. A serving of oats…
Aug 26, 2011, 7:54 pm
Traveling Muffins: Redux
- This recipe is a good friend.
So I shall pay visits again and again to my good friend because that is what good friends do. I shall ask how my dear Madam Blueberry Muffin how she is today and note that she has changed since I saw her last:
Aug 21, 2011, 7:59 pm
- This is a special cake. So it deserves special talk.
But I didn't know what kind of special talk, so I've been reserving it. Today's the day though.
Because I'm going to California!!!!!!!!!!
I just found out last night, and it's been a whirlwind trying to get everything together and…
Jul 13, 2011, 11:28 am
Salad Phase of Sorts
Occasionally, they sit on plates, the center of attention. And at other times, they linger behind the curtains, to complement the main dish and bring out tones and textures one might not notice without the help of a salad.
I'm experiencing a salad phase of sorts, some anxiety and…
Jul 10, 2011, 10:39 pm
- If you keep up with the world of classy sports, you'd know that the Wimbledon 2011 men's championship match was played earlier today. Excellent tennis.
If you actually watched the game, you would have noticed that in between some points - a human interest thing, I suppose - the camera…
Jul 3, 2011, 9:15 pm
- I love cooking for myself. (This includes my immediate family. They're like extensions of me. Kind of.) If whatever I'm making turns out delicious, then yay! It stays at home and gets eaten up. If whatever I'm making turns out kind of gross, then I say, "Wow. This is kind…
Jun 28, 2011, 12:57 am
Sorbet Point of View
- Sometimes things are better when you look at them from a different point of view. Thunderstorms aren't dangerous bursts of raging precipitation and flashing lightning but opportunities for plants to cool their little parched throats.
Kiwi have this in common with thunderstorms. From a different point of view, they're ten…
Jun 26, 2011, 11:48 pm
- Veggie burgers. As in burgers made of veggies. And nothing else.
I thought I would be totally against them.
But there are other things I thought I would not like that I did indeed end up liking. Examples?
- my iPhone
- painting my nails
- drinking water (more on…
Jun 23, 2011, 9:48 pm
- During the summer, my family and I normally take a few trips aroundandabout to take advantage of fun learning opportunities, pretty college campuses, other people's tennis courts, and really large Asian markets. Unfortunately, being at camp for the next few weeks makes this harder.
But - don't be sad, fellow…
Jun 20, 2011, 11:52 pm
- Sometimes you are hungry. Sometimes you need some protein. Sometimes you need a quickie lunch that will take you to dessert, stat. (Remember? I just made blueberry pie.)
Sometimes you need an egg sandwich.
I used not to like eggs, once upon a time. I would tell my friends I…
Jun 14, 2011, 4:33 pm